Trying to find a good pair of shoes is such an arduous process. You have to find the right colour, style and ensure it gives you support and comfort. But when it comes to Birkenstock sandals, all of that hassle is completely wiped away. Each pair of sandals, clogs and slippers is simplistically designed and built for universal comfort. Allow your feet to breath in the warm weather without any irritation or discomfort. A pair of Birkenstocks is built to last and remain timelessly stylish season after season.
The Birkenstock Flats Buying Guide
Birkenstock has time and time again proven that quality, comfort, and support for the health and well-being of feet will always be a success story for not only the brand, but the person wearing Birkenstock flats. Designed with quality leather and anatomically-correct built-in suede footbeds to mimic your feet being in the sand, Birkenstock flats deliver maximum comfort and improved circulation whenever they are worn. The brand takes pride in pinpointing every possible way to incorporate comfort for a healthier foot during the design process. Read on for our Birkenstock flats buying guide, which will help you navigate the various styles and find the best size for you.
The Most Wanted Birkenstock Flats
Birkenstock Arizona Soft Footbed
One of the most classic styles, the Birkenstock Arizona is an adjustable, unisex two-strap sandal that comes in all kinds of materials and colors to choose from. For that ultimate extra dose of comfort, this style is lined with suede to carry you through the day.
Birkenstock Gizeh Sandal
A modern twist on the thong sandal, the Birkenstock Gizeh brings refined minimalism to your toes. Featuring a contoured cork footbed, you can be confident that health and style are not sacrificed for style. The sandal comfortably conforms to the shape of the foot and features pronounced arch support.
Birkenstock Madrid Mule
The ultimate classic, the Birkenstock Madrid mule is the most iconic style in the brand’s portfolio and is still going strong. This simple single-strap mule with an adjustable metal pin buckle makes getting ready for the day easy.
The Birkenstock Sizing Guide
Love Birkenstock styles, but unsure of the sizing? Birkenstock flats come in European sizes. The sizing chart below can be used to find the perfect fit for you. Another simple way to determine your Birkenstock size is by adding 31 to your U.S. women’s size and 33 to your U.S. men’s size.
For example, if you’re a US women’s size 6, add 31 and you will be a size EU 37. If you are US men’s size 10, you would add 33 and be an EU size 43. Birkenstock generally runs true to size.
Tips on how to measure your foot length for Birkenstock flats:
• Step 1: Stand with the heel to a wall completely and put a sturdy measuring tape under your feet.
• Step 2: Take note of your foot length in millimeters, and be sure you measure up to your longest toe for accuracy.
• Step 3: Reference the below chart for sizes.
• If you are between two sizes, choose the next higher for a better fit. Your feet should be able to move comfortably without your toes hitting the edge of the footbed.
|US Size||Birkenstock Size|
|4 - 4 1/2||35|
|5 - 5 1/2||36|
|6 - 6 1/2||37|
|7 - 7 1/2||38|
|8 - 8 1/2||39|
|9 - 9 1/2||40|
|10 - 10 1/2||41|
|11 - 11 1/2||42|
How To Care For Your Birkenstock Flats
• Avoid extreme heat. Common to most footwear and apparel, extreme temperatures can damage the corkbeds and soles of Birkenstocks. Direct sunlight and heat can change the look and damage the materials, so we recommend keeping them indoors or in a shady area that doesn’t build up heat.
• Most Birkenstock styles are not water-resistant. Although there are models that are water-friendly, avoid immersing your Birkenstocks in water to avoid damaging the materials. If they do become wet, we recommend letting them air dry in order to preserve the shoe’s materials.
To prolong the life of your Birkenstock flats, we recommend using the below tactics to care for your shoes:
• If the cork edge of your shoe looks like it’s drying out, apply a thin coat of cork sealer to protect it from external elements that could damage the shoe in the long-run. You can most likely find this protectant at your local shoe repair store.
• To keep your footwear in good condition, we recommend frequently wiping away excess moisture and dirt with a washcloth. Brush suede and nubuck footbeds with a specialized suede brush to restore the softness. It’s quick and easy to do for a long-lasting care effect!
• Apply water & stain repellent regularly to protect the leather materials from everyday wear and dirt build up. Use a suede brush to get a deeper clean that will remove the dust.
- Are Birkenstocks good for your feet?
Podiatrists frequently recommend Birkenstock flats. The Birkenstock footbed is made of resilient cork/latex and is shaped to create a healthy walking environment for your feet. The technology embedded in the sole (the cork/latex blend) is pliable and reacts to natural body warmth. Therefore, over time, the footbed yields to the characteristics of an individual foot which makes it a more comfort-driven flat.
- Should Birkenstocks hurt at first?
As with most footwear, it takes a small adjustment period to get used to wearing Birkenstock flats. Before trying them on, put one hand under the toe and one under the heel, then flex the footbed a few times. This will initiate the break-in period and will your help your new sandals feel comfortable much sooner.
Only wear your Birkenstock flats for a few hours when you first start wearing them, as this lets your feet and body to gradually get used to the contoured arch support, straps and buckles.
- Are Birkenstocks worth the price?
Birkenstock has created a series of classic styles with health-focused technology infused within the structure. With correct wear and care, any of the Birkenstock styles you purchase could last a lifetime. This makes the brand an incredible footwear investment.