Now an iconic luxury fashion brand, Louis Vuitton was founded in 1854 when its namesake designer began creating upscale trunks. Over the years, the label has grown to include a complete range of ready to wear, but the bags and luggage remain a hallmark of the label, all of which are stamped in the Louis Vuitton insignia: LV. Today, Louis Vuitton bags like the Manhattan, Mountsouris and Keepall are renowned for flawless design and impeccable craftsmanship, carried out in the finest materials. Some, like the Neverfull and Speedy have been updated for a modern audience, but the classic, refined and elegant designs remain.
The Louis Vuitton Bag Buying Guide
Louis Vuitton has represented luxury French fashion for generations. Proving to be timeless each season, one of the iconic categories Louis Vuitton is best known for is its large selection of handbags. Between the famed LV Monogram and Damier checkerboard styles, logomania fashion fans can find all kinds of shapes and sizes ranging from easy to wear cross-body bags, Neverfull tote carryalls, Soho backpack, Speedy keepalls, toiletry bags, wallets and cases. Ahead in our Louis Vuitton bag buying guide, we’ll help you sort through the popular bags to find the best style for you, give you tips on how to make your bag last, and answer some of your most frequently asked questions.
The Most Wanted Louis Vuitton Bags
Louis Vuitton Neverfull Brown Cloth Tote Bags
The perfect go-to bag to carry everything. Much like the name of the bag-- it will never seem to be full. The wide opening makes it extra roomy without the bulk, with side strings giving the option of cinching the sides for sleek appeal or kept loose for a more casual easy-spirited approach. The neutral brown colorway pairs easily with most ensembles making it a great everyday tote bag that you can carry over the shoulder or as a top handle. Lined with a bright red fabrication and authentic LV branded label, the bag also comes with a removable pouch that can be used as a clutch or to hold your wallet inside.
Louis Vuitton Monogram Crossbody Bags
Part of the brand’s permanent collection, the LV crossbody bag in its classic Monogram print is a stand-out style. Throw it over your shoulder and you’ll be ready to take on your day. Inside the crossbody bag is an internal pocket to slip your essentials in. To keep your daily belongings safe, the top flap of the bag can be secured with the magnetic snap closure.
Louis Vuitton Damier Ebene Canvas Bags
LV’s Damier Ebene Canvas Bag, with its brown checkerboard design, is one of the brand’s most popular styles. Found in various shapes and sizes, like cross body travel bags, bucket bags, totes, toiletry bags, over-the-shoulder and more. The notable neutral look can fit well into any wardrobe-- making it a versatile, everyday accessory.
How to Care for Your Louis Vuitton Bags
Louis Vuitton bags carry an iconic reputation for being timeless, long-lasting pieces. Below are some tips to make your daily sidekick last for years down the road.
- Avoid oily substances and alcohol-based solutions from getting on your bag. Make-up, cosmetics, disinfectants, and perfume may damage the material. Cleaning your bag with any at-home solutions is not recommended.
- Keep your bag’s leather material away from abrasive surfaces to prevent scratches and damage. If you need to wipe down or clean the exterior, use a soft cloth.
- To store your bag, we recommend keeping it in a dry, room temperature setting. Place it safely in the felt pouch your bag came with at purchase.
- Avoid keeping your bag in direct sunlight for extended periods of time and keep away from extreme heat.
- Do not submerge your bag in water. If you get caught in inclement weather, like rain or snow, take a soft cloth and remove excess water before it settles on the materials.
- For professional cleaning, we recommend calling a Louis Vuitton boutique to speak to a specialist about your bag’s maintenance needs. The specialist will advise if they can help in store, or give the next best steps.
- Do Louis Vuitton bags come with a warranty?
Louis Vuitton does not offer a warranty for its fine leather products like handbags. Louis Vuitton offers complimentary repairs or alternative repair solutions when it is related to how the bag was produced. We recommend calling a LV specialist in advance before bringing your piece into a store for repairs, and they will advise on how they can assist you or give the next steps.
- Does Louis Vuitton offer customization for its handbags?
Louis Vuitton offers special personalization for some of its iconic handbag styles. For small leather goods, shoppers have the option to have hot stamping personalization free of charge if purchased at an official Louis Vuitton boutique or its website. Additionally, the brand offers ‘Mon Monogram’ for its iconic shapes. You are able to choose to place your initials on your piece in different font and stripe design options.
- How do I know if my Louis Vuitton bag is authentic?
In order to guarantee that your Louis Vuitton bag is authentic, purchase your Louis Vuitton from an approved authorized retailer, an official Louis Vuitton boutique, official LV website, or department store. If you are purchasing from a reseller, make sure that the vendor is reputable and has a team that verifies authenticity of its designer products.
You may also check within the bag to make sure that the branded label is there with Louis Vuitton stamped and the country of origin underneath it. If this information is not there, it is most likely not authentic.