Swedish brand Fjällräven is the fashion insider's go-to when it comes to cutting an outdoor-inspired, practical-minded dash around town. Hip and cool, the brand's signature Kanken backpacks represent style shorthand for discerning women and men around the globe. Fjällräven backpacks are fast becoming a must-have accessory when travelling around Europe's coolest capitals. Simple and smart, these bags come in a variety of sizes and colourways 'sure to suit all tastes and needs.
The Fjallraven Backpacks Buying Guide
Fjallraven is a Swedish brand that is committed to making nature more accessible through its wide range of functional, durable and timeless backpacks. With a focus on simplicity and practicality, Fjallraven uses sustainable materials that stand up to the rigors of the trail, yet keeps its environmental impact to a minimum. Ahead, take a look at our Fjallraven backpacks buying guide, which will help you narrow down the bags that work best for you and how to keep them looking their best.
The Most Wanted Fjallraven Backpacks
Fjallraven Kånken backpacks
Debuted in 1978 with Swedish schoolchildren in mind, the iconic Kånken maintains all the function and style that first made it popular. Crafted from a hard-wearing Vinylon fabric that can withstand both dirt and water, this classic backpack comes with a zip that open up the spacious main compartment for easy access and multiple storage pockets. There is a removable foam seat in the back pocket, which doubles up as extra padding when it is worn. Choose between carrying it by the top handle, or the two adjustable shoulder straps. For a more contemporary option, the Kånken also comes in Mini, Laptop 13”, Sling and Laptop 15” variations.
Fjallraven Foldsack No.1 backpacks
Understated and functional, the Foldsack No.1 backpack has an innovative top that can be folded down and then attached to the front with buckles and straps. It is made from extra strong and durable G-1000 HeavyDuty Eco, and comes with a large main compartment, a padded 15-inch laptop pocket and supportive shoulder straps.
Fjallraven Vardag 25 Backpack
Crafted from the brand’s cornerstone G-1000 fabric that is hard-wearing, ventilating and wind-resistant, the Vardag 25 backpack is ideal for everyday use. Lined in recycled nylon, the lightweight design features an easy-to-use main compartment with a padded base for your laptop.
The Fjallraven Backpack Sizing Guide
Fjallraven backpacks range in size, and some styles come in various sizes. The Kanken Sling is a classic design scaled down to a small shoulder bag with a height of 20CM and a width of 15cm, while the original Kanken has a height of 38CM and a width of 27CM.
Larger backpacks include those that are designed for trekking, such as the Singi, Lappland and Abisko. The hybrid Singi Stubben design has a height of 52CM, a width of 27CM and has a 27l volume.
How To Care For Your Fjallraven Backpack
Ideal for the commute to work, gym and everything in between, Fjallraven backpacks are designed to last with the right care. Always check the instructions on the care label you will find stitched into every Fjallraven backpack before cleaning.
• We would recommend never washing your backpack in the washing machine, and to instead remove marks with lukewarm water, a mild detergent and a soft sponge or brush. Hang up air dry and ensure it is away from direct sunlight, as this can cause color to fade.
• We would advise not to tumble dry, bleach, iron or dry clean your backpack.
• Fjallraven uses a special drying technique to ensure its backpacks have a vibrant color finish, and this can mean that there is a chance it can rub off onto your clothing. Before you start wearing it, it is recommended that you rinse your backpack in lukewarm water.
• To maintain your backpacks original shape, do not overfill it. There is a range of sizes available in Fjallraven backpacks, so you can opt to buy a bigger size if needed.
• If you do need to carry your laptop in one of Fjallraven’s backpacks, always invest in one with a designated laptop compartment. Some backpacks have back pockets made for notepads and folders, and carrying a laptop in this can put too much strain on zips and straps.
• If you notice your backpack has a tear, we would advise fixing them immediately as they are more difficult to repair once they get bigger.
- Why are Fjallraven backpacks so popular?
The brand’s backpacks popularity is largely down to their timeless style, performance and quality. Easy to wear, they are designed to last and maintain their original shape for years.
- Are Fjallraven backpacks comfortable?
Packed with plenty of functional features, the brand’s backpacks are designed to be worn on everyday adventures. From adjustable shoulder straps with additional padding to padded compartments that protect your back, Fjallraven backpacks ensure long-lasting comfort.
- Is the Fjallraven Kanken backpack waterproof?
Some styles of Fjallraven backpacks are waterproof, and this depends on the fabric it is made from. Those made from Vinylon F, like the certain versions of Kånken, have a waterproof shield thanks to the synthetic fibres that swell when they are damp.
Those made from a waterproof, durable Bergshell fabric, like the Ulvo 23, Bergtagen 38 and Duffel No.6, are designed to keep all your essentials dry.